Monday, January 9, 2012

A New Beginning Brings an End


When I told my sister I had been reading some design blogs and was thinking about starting an at-home furniture business, she was more than surprised. She said she couldn't even see me reading blogs, let alone writing one. I guess I never gave off the vibe of being a great homemaker and computer whiz. Weird. If you had asked me 3 years ago, I would have had much different plans for myself. For the past 7 years, I thought my mission in life was to medically save every animal that I came in contact with. I spent all my time working at a vet hospital, or going to school to learn more and move up in the working world. If you had asked me if I was ever going to stop working while I had children, my firm answer would have been "No".

I went through some painful growing over the past few years. I finally couldn't take dropping my screaming newborn at my sister's house almost every morning to be watched while I went to school and work. I was frantically trying to juggle finishing school before moving out of state for my husband to start his doctorate elsewhere. I ended up not finishing, but what I learned from this juggling act was far greater than any school lesson I paid thousands for. I learned that I didn't have to save every animal myself. I learned to define myself not by my past career. I learned to slow down and enjoy one day at a time. I realized that in the long run my sweet daughter didn't care if I was a genius, she didn't care about how much school I finished, and I wasn't born to be anything better than her mom. My daughter will only remember the time I did or didn't spend with her, she would remember how I treated others, and she would remember if I was happy, stressed, or worn out. The best thing I could be was exactly what I thought I never wanted. I love being a mom, nothing is more important.

This past year I have spent a lot of time studying furniture books, history, blogs, and magazines. It is something I enjoy. This is a great new start for me, I am so blessed. I am able to work at home and be there for my daughter when she needs me. I am able to bring beauty into our home to make it "our" place and to provide my family with the comforts and joy that a loving home should have. This is the beginning of a new phase in my life that I now can happily embrace... There is always time for more school later, right?

4 comments:

  1. Your story sounds so much like my own! 4 years ago I was going to nursing school and staying home with my 1 and 4 year old and losing my mind! Putting crazy pressure on myself to get strait A's be a good mom and a good wife and doing all of the things I thought I should or that I thought I wanted to do "for myself". But I was always so stressed out that I couldn't even be good to the people around me. When I stopped it all (didn't finish either), at first I was super resentful!(but I'm not sure to whom towards) And then I started doing furniture, and then blogging.I was able to find a balance and realized that it really is so wonderful to stay at home with my kids...now I have 3. I didn't "happily" embrace it at first....it did take a while. I'm happily following along! Would love for you to come by!
    iknowtheplansihave4you.blogspot.com

    Also, I'm sure you've seen a million times that google followers is closing March 1st, but I don't see a linky follower on your blog to follow. You should add that.
    http://www.linkyfollowers.com/default.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your words of comfort. It's always good to hear someone who has "been there and done that too". I thought I was a crazy person for awhile there and I'm sure my husband thought I was entering some early life crisis. I can honestly say I am happy now and feel much more balanced. It took time to figure out who I was again. I stopped by your super cute blog and I am a new follower. I can't wait to see what you come up with in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking to start painting some furniture for my own home and found your blog. I just started a blog myself in part to chronicle the opposite change from yours. I have been a stay-at-home mom up until recently. That has been quite a change for me, too. It's always a juggling act to be the mom and wife I want to be and be the individual person I want to be too. I chose to work later in life for the same reason you did. It's hard to do everything all at the same time. I know I'm a total stranger, but I hope you go back to school later when the time is right for you.

    I can tell your blog and business will be a success. You are very talented. Isn't it amazing how life leads us in paths we never realized were just perfect for us?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love a nice comment form a perfect stranger:) I hope the transition to working mom is going as smoothly as possible for you. I'm sure in the future when I do go back to work I will need some good words of advice on how to do it.

    Thank you for all your compliments. I'd love to see how your home furniture projects turn out.

    ReplyDelete