Saturday, February 4, 2012

Kitchen Hutch Reveal





I showed my mom the hutch in my garage a few months ago and I think she was secretly coveting it. This piece I purchased off of craigslist along with a matching buffet. The buffet was purchased and custom painted for a customer and was featured on my first post. When my husband went to pick up the two pieces, the previous owners said they had an armoire we could have for free! They were just going to take it to goodwill and we were saving them the trip. I love a good piece of free furniture! We'll see what I can do to it later.

The hutch proved to be a little trickier than I planned, but really, isn't that how it always goes? I first painted it in Old white and dark waxed it hoping to make it looked aged and bring out the carving. I hated it. The dark wax just wasn't working. I repainted it all in Old White. I thought I'd just leave the inside of the hutch white as well. Changed my mind and repainted the inside the perfect blue-gray. I wanted to keep the original hardware so I painted it white as well to freshen it up. Well my well-intentioned husband went out to the garage for a touch up of some sort and came back in with the hardware snapped in half. I don't ask. I decided to go with some hardware I already had stashed away. I did leave the original glass, it was in perfect shape. I like the way it looks now better anyways :-)

Pin It

Linking back to...

mop it up mondaysFunky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.com

18 comments:

  1. Jenine, what a great transformation! I am happily following via Type A. I hope you will follow me, too! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shenita, what a lovely blog. I love your warm and inviting style. I'm now a happy follower too! Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely transformation! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I really enjoyed it. What beautiful blues at Heure Bleue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, is this the same piece ?! It looks amazing ... love the colors you chose (I'm a huge AS fan, too!) I look forward to seeing more of your projects. *Becca* (new follower)

    www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becca. I'm a little sparse in the "followers" category so I appreciate it. I'll be watching your blog to see what projects you come up with.

      Delete
  6. Truly gorgeous. What a well-done transformation. Loving the blue grey and old white together. And LOVE those new pulls you added...perfection. Would be delighted for you to link this up to Mop It Up Mondays (going on through Friday): http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/mop-it-up-mondays-party-2.html
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fab cabinet! I just finished one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the cabinet is darling. Girl, that Annie Sloan dark wax will run away with ya...if you mix just a little of it with Johnson's clear paste wax, it give you just a hint of aging...God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I'm so glad you gave me the tip about the dark wax. I can't wait to try it! It just always seemed so dark over Old White.

      Delete
    2. I just tried mixing the dark with clear wax on an armoire and it worked wonders! Thank you so much.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful cabinet! I was surprised to read that you painted again after waxing this piece. Did you have to remove the wax or did you just paint right over it? I have been a little nervous about painting over a piece I've already waxed...and though I haven't had to yet, I've wondered what would happen if I did. Thanks for the lovely inspiration and advice!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda. I just remember reading somewhere about painting over the wax. Maybe perfectlyimperfect blog? I figure there's nothing that ASCP can't cover. I didn't have any bleeding and it didn't show through. I think the biggest thing is just not being able to try new things when it comes to painting furniture.

      Delete
  10. STUNNING! Seriously gorgeous!

    I hope you'll link this up to our first ever linky party! Party just started!
    http://www.classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/02/spotlight-saturday-1-our-first-linky.html

    -Mallory @ Classy Clutter

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fantastic. You did such a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd be honored to. Loving the classyclutter blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This turned out wonderful! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete