Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Annie Sloan Dark Wax Alternative!

I bought this dresser on Craigslist several months ago intending to use it for myself.  In the meantime, I found an armoire that fit my space and needs better. My husband tried to talk me out of buying this dresser, it needed a lot of work and could probably never be perfect again (Husband's note: It was also like 45 minutes away from our house and I had to drive there and back to get it :-/ ). It was priced so well that I couldn't pass it up despite all of its flaws.


The top of this piece was missing a large chunk. I wasn't too nervous about it, I'd replaced a top on a large buffet before. My plan was to pry off the layer of wood and cut a new slab of wood for the top. I got my pry bar out and it just wasn't budging :(  I chose to fill in the huge missing space with wood filler. It's not perfectly smooth but with a black painted top it's hardly noticeable. I will still be selling this dresser, but at a lower price because of the imperfection.

I want to share with you a brilliant "aha!" moment that I had. I was running low on my Annie Sloan Dark Wax, and my round waxing brush was also failing me. I only had it a week before the center 'hairs' of it just fell out, and then the whole head of the brush fell out. I wasn't real excited to buy a new one. I have to order my supplies and have them shipped. Sometimes it's a pain.  I was thinking of other waxing options. I usually use other brands of clear wax but how come no one had really made another brand of dark wax? (Not counting Miss Mustard Seed's new line)

I remembered my dad polishing his shoes with a dark wax in a tin every Sunday, and it had that same smell as A.S. Dark Wax.  Could it work?

Maybe you've already figured this out, but to me it was a new thought. I ran to Walmart to check out their shoe polish selection. I chose a black polish and a brown polish. I also noticed they had perfect brushes for waxing- short, soft, and even round. The best part was this stuff was cheaper and I had more selection. There were more colors to choose from. I realize that glazes come in different colors and I have used them over chalk paint before, but when I wash it off the wet rag sometimes it distresses the piece too much. I also prefer the way the wax looks more realistic and sticks to all the grooves.

My biggest concern was that when I went back over the shoe polish wax with the clear wax, it wouldn't wipe off the excess but it worked like a charm. I just followed the same steps I used with the Annie Sloan wax. 1. Clear wax 2. Dark wax (in this case, shoe polish) 3. Clear wax.

I hope this might open up some new options for you, or just gave you the courage to follow through on some ideas that you might be having. Let me know if any of you try it and how it works for you.






Jenine


Linking back to...
romantichome.blogspot.com
www.funkyjunkinteriors.net
missmustardseed.com

38 comments:

  1. I would have bought this piece too - the hardware is great! Good tip on the shoe polish - I will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its beautiful! Try Briwax dark wax too...- Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I've been able to find the clear briwax at Ace Hardware but never seen the dark wax. I'll have to look it up, Thanks:)

      Delete
  3. Great idea. I have used that dark shoe polish for furniture "fixes" before, too. It covers scratches and dull spots beautifully but I would not have thought to use it for the dark wax option. You are so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the first time I opened up the container of dark wax, I have always said it seems just like shoe polish. We have plenty of it at home too. This piece is gorgeous by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this look! so fun! it's like a tuxedo dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It came out lovely! I really like the way the 2 colors of paint highlight the lines of the dresser. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool shoe polish idea...outside the box which I am incapable of doing. Love how your dresser turned out! Great color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Shoe polish!! Will have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea with the two colors, very unique. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can also tint clear wax w/paint. It works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I did know. I've used it a few times.

      Delete
    2. How do yo do that?

      What is a good less expensive clear wax??

      Delete
  11. Your did a lovely job! It looks terrific! I would be delighted if your would link to Potpourri Friday, in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job! I was given a similar piece two weeks ago. I love the legs on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping back by to say thank you for sharing your project at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tip! I will definately try this one out. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful idea! Picking up shoe polish tomorrow because I can't wait to try this.

    I usually use minwax & mix in a little walnut stain, but the shoe polish will probably be much smoother to work with.

    Can't wait to read the rest of your blog. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Liberon waxes are great too and come in loads of colours! Can you get Liberon over there?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great piece and a pretty color combination! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks awesome!

    smiles and hope you'll visit soon.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the way you painted and waxed this! So pretty! I'd love it if you linked up at my weekly party...Mod Mix Monday at Mod Vintage Life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Your piece is beautiful and I love the shoe polish idea.
    At a garage sale about a month ago I bought some red boot polish. Maybe I can use that somehow someday...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been refinishing furniture since the seventies and have used Minwax finishing paste and whatever color of Kiwi or Esquire shoe polish. They really do work! I now love Howard's Citrus Shield Dark Oak wax.

    Loved the way the dresser turned out.

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so trying shoe polish! Thanks. Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the piece and your color choice is beautiful! I have not had luck with a few waxes, so good tip to try!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm totally trying the shoe polish TODAY. I didn't buy dark wax because I ran out of money and the shop is an hour from me. So I'm anxious to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. after trying it several time I think it is easiest to mix in the shoe polish with some clear wax. The shoe was just is a little drier than what I'm used to working with.

      Delete
  25. Hi Jenine, I was just wondering what brand of clear wax you find best? Are they all soft like AS? I am in Australia and find it hard to buy the products I need. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,
      There are a couple I have used. My favorite is the johnson and johnson paste wax. It is usually the cheapest and I can almost always find it near the cleaning section of any store. It tends to be by the hardwood floor section. I also enjoy the miniwax clear paste, I find this at the hardware store by the stains.

      The wax isn't as soft as annies but I have noticed if I let it sit in the sun for a mintute to warm it softens up nicely and I can mix it with dark wax or paint easily.

      If I'm just using it for protection over a finished piece it is easy to leave it harder and wipe it on with a rag.

      Delete
  26. Thank you so much Jenine! You have been such a great help and I love your blog and your work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm a furniture painting newbie and love this idea since it is a cheaper alternative (just in case I mess up!) A few questions though...

    What did you use to apply your shoepolish?
    How long do you leave it on the piece before taking/ buffing it off?
    What is the best way to mix the shoepolish and wax?

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a round stiff bristled shoe polish brush.

      I clear wax the whole piece first, I then work in sections, apply the shoe polish, immediately wipe away with a clean, lint free cloth covered in clear wax.

      I follow the same techniques for dark waxing as Annie Sloan recommends

      I mix mine in an empty container. I use a plastic spoon and scoop out a tad of shoe polish ( I usually mix a black and brown together). I put my clear Johnson and Johnson wax in the sun for a minute to soften it and then I scoop out about double the amount that I did for dark polish. I just mix using a plastic spoon or tongue depressor.

      I wont lie, using the real deal Annie Sloan dark wax is amazing and always looks awesome. This technique is great if you're in a bind or just working on a project for yourself.

      Delete
  28. Wow! I found your blog when I googled whether you can use shoe polish as a furniture polish. I can find clear furniture wax everywhere, but not the colored wax, and I wasn't looking forward to ordering it. So, glad I found the answer and your blog in the process. I love your furniture redos. I'm about to start my first one, and I'll be making my own chalk paint with calcium carbonate. So, please say a quick prayer for me. :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm about to refinish an old dresser I bought off craigslist, I'm glad I found your blog, so maybe I won't have to spend near as much money. So you still use the Annie Sloan chalk paint, but then you use a different brand of clear wax and brown/black shoe polish mixed with clear wax over it(instead of dark wax), correct?

    ReplyDelete
  30. If you can get Annie Sloan dark wax in your area I highly recommend it. Nothing beats it. If you live somewhere with no Annie Sloan retailers than I would try the shoe polish.

    No matter the brand of waxes you use you must always first apply a clear coat wax layer. Read the label of your clear wax for drying times.
    When it is dry then I use the dark wax (or shoe polish). I apply it in a small area then you wipe off the dark wax you just applied with a clean rag and clear wax.

    I have found that mixing the shoe polish with some clear wax makes it softer and easier to work with.

    Here is a link to Annie Sloans site demonstrating how it is done.
    http://www.anniesloan.com/acatalog/copy_of_How_to_use_the_paint.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. I too am always looking for alternative, affordable products and love that you have ventured out to use the shoe polish!! I was considering car wax!! LOL!! Got some Minwax and Johnson wax, and now gonna run out and get some show polish! Thanks for sharing and love your work and glad to have found your blog! Hugs & Smiles, Theresa

    ReplyDelete