Saturday, August 10, 2013

Labor Of Love Cane Couch and Chair rescue

We have had an exciting week here in our home. we find out that we will be having a baby boy! Our 3 yr old daughter cried when we found out, she wanted a sister so bad. Her pouty frown and big huge tears almost made me cry. It's taken a bit of convincing but she has come around to the idea of a boy in the family.

I don't know if you remember this couch and chair, I shared the before pictures many months ago. I even had a few people ask about seeing the after pictures. This is just one of those projects that took me many of months. It needed to be cleaned and all the spiders evicted. We had to fix the arms that had fallen off and paint the frame I pulled off all the old material covering the springs, I even found that they had used horse hair for filling in places, yuck!









I needed some motivation. I am not the best seamstress so I was concerned about the cushion covers. I purchased new foam with a 50% off coupon at Jo Ann's and a floral and striped fabric from fabric.com. I originally thought I would have to learn to sew a cushion cover and zipper. This scared me to death.  I came up with another brillant plan to avoid learning any new sewing techniques! I decided I would save on fabric and stress if I made a fitted sheet cover, no zippers, just fabric and elastic. it fits perfectly and is easy to pull off and wash. I did the same for the chair. You'll notice the cane on the chair is covered, it had some large holes in it that needed to be covered. The baby doll in the picture is my daughters contribution:)











 It is such a dramatic change and it feels good to know you can buy something falling apart for near nothing at the thrift store and make it into something beautiful that can be enjoyed. I will not be keeping this but I hope it finds a home with a large covered patio for someone to just drink lemonade and enjoy the view.


Jenine

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the colors in the fabrics and the solution you had for almost no sew! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an amazing transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy piece of furniture! From dumpy to divine. I know how you feel about sewing. Very clever way to get around it and make it washable,too. You are amazing at what you do! -mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi~

    Was reading some of your past posts, finding the one about Benson''s. I spent 6 and 1/2 of the happiest years of my live living In Las Vegas. I desperately miss my home in the desert. Plan a trip back in the spring. Where is Benson's located?

    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you post a picture of the underside? I need to recover some outside furniture cushions and like you, I dread it. This sounds like such a great answer but I don't understand how you got the corners to look so "professional" with making them stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful! I cherish the shades in the fabrics and the result you had for just about no sew! Embraces, Leena

    Unique bathroom vanities

    ReplyDelete